Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Cellular Provider to use for new service.
Sad 
What cell phone provider can anyone recommend?

I want a new services as I only have my company phone (work)

When I went to Verizon and AT&T they both said my B1 was not compatible with their network.

....what am I doing wrong

73 de N5PSM, David
OK, so I went thru a similar thing with Verizon. My first visit, I got a guy that understood what he was doing and he wasn't put off by the fact that the IMEI number wasn't supported because I went in with the SIM from my iPhone in my B1 and it was working. So he did some magic and gave me a new SIM and the phone was working when I left the store. A few days later I got a message from Verizon saying that they were turning service off. So, I went back to the Verizon store and got less technically inclined CSRs who told me that my phone was "not supported" "3G only" and other crap. After getting the run-around for an hour, I left. I saw an article somewhere (here?) that recommended Mint as known to work. So I went online and ordered a Mint SIM. Worked first time and even apparently properly identified the phone as a "Runbo One Touch X".

So, Mint. Recommended. They are an MVNO for T-Mobile.

/Ted (waiting patiently for Verizon to get their crap together)
(10-25-2021, 11:10 PM)KC1JMZ Wrote: OK, so I went thru a similar thing with Verizon.  My first visit, I got a guy that understood what he was doing and he wasn't put off by the fact that the IMEI number wasn't supported because I went in with the SIM from my iPhone in my B1 and it was working.  So he did some magic and gave me a new SIM and the phone was working when I left the store.  A few days later I got a message from Verizon saying that they were turning service off.  So, I went back to the Verizon store and got less technically inclined CSRs who told me that my phone was "not supported" "3G only" and other crap.  After getting the run-around for an hour, I left.  I saw an article somewhere (here?) that recommended Mint as known to work.  So I went online and ordered a Mint SIM.  Worked first time and even apparently properly identified the phone as a "Runbo One Touch X".

So, Mint.  Recommended.  They are an MVNO for T-Mobile.

/Ted (waiting patiently for Verizon to get their crap together)

I ordered a sim from t-mobile, their cheapest prepaid plan and it worked fine
I found it also hard to convince them I started with US Cellular as I have AT&T for my iPhone and US Cellular has strong coverage in the mountains here.. They told me that their network does not support LTE of which I need to look into to see if that's really true. So I then went to T-Mobile and they started off saying that they could only sell me a Data plan for tablets or iPads.. and I said that would defeat have of the features of the device like phone or texting and I gave him that are you kidding me look. He then told me that they could sell me a pre-paid sim and I went with that.

When I first put it in my B1+ every thing that went over the cell data the inbound voice sounded like slow mo... but yet I could do a speed test and there was plenty of speed for voice. but after a day or two and a few reboots... that problem went away.. strange.. I'm not real happy with T-Mobile but it's only a prepaid card and when it runs out I will try another service.

K7BBS 
running RFinder B1+ with Version 12
I ended up with T-mobile and google Fi (which is also T-mobile I think).