Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's RoIP?
I'll do the best I can to describe RoIP. It's not difficult to understand.

There are two ways to get your signals from your radio to its destination. Rota (Radio over the air) processes your voice input to analog or digital format, transmits it over the air to a receiving station, maybe or maybe not using the internet. The receiving station processes the analog or digital signal and hears what you said. Note, I just made up this acronym "Rota". It just makes RoIP easier to understand.

The second way, RoIP, if for digital signals only, like DMR, where the process involves changing your voice input to digital format, e.g. 1's and 0's, then transmitting them to a destination radio, internet radio or some other system. In RoIP, those 1's and 0's are compressed and packetized and sent via Internet Protocol over the phone's cellular data connection. There is no TX over a radio frequency, just conversion of the voice input to digital format and transmitted over the phone's cellular data connection. No repeater or hotspot is used in RoIP. Thus, the only necessary piece of info to be digitized is the DMR ID of the receiving station. When you want to make a call using RoIP on the B1, bring up the menu like you're going to input a new frequency, poke in the DMR ID you want, send the parameters, then switch from radio to IP mode using the grayed button. The B1 power button will change from RED to BLUE background, and the radio is ready for communications on the DMR ID entered. 

Note: You cannot use Promiscuous mode while using RoIP. At least, not yet. The plan is to allow a user to enter multiple, say up to 5, DMR IDs in the spot, then the radio would monitor those 5 IDs for traffic. Details are being worked on now. 

Comments solicited, please.